Friday, June 15, 2007

Treasures in Heaven.

Jesus said we must lay up treasures for ourselves in heaven. Every time we do something kind for somebody, or give to somebody, we are making a deposit in our heavenly bank account. Recently I got cynical when a man came to the door with a sob story about how he was mistreated in his own country and by our police because he was an illegal immigrant. My husband gave him a suit so he could go to a job interview.

Unfortunately for him he also went and gave a different sob story to my friend down the road. He told her that he had been given a suit and had sold it. He was just conning us.

But it occurred to me, if I do somebody kind and he takes advantage of me, if he makes a fool of me because I believed his story, what's happened to my treasure in heaven? It's still there. I may look a gullible fool on earth, but my investment in eternity has not diminished.

No comments: