Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Snow at Zoo Lake.

South Africa is not a country known for snow. In my fifty odd years it has snowed four times in Johannesburg. Once when I wan in primary school and we went away on a school tour. While we were away on tour, it snowed back home in Jo’burg. Once when we had moved to Port Elizabeth, it snowed in Jo’burg. Last year I watched snow falling lightly and gently to the ground then melting immediately.
Last night it snowed. My husband, Brian, phoned to say that he had seen it on his way to work.. About an hour and a half later I drove to Zoo Lake to have a look. Sure enough. There it was. Enough snow on the ground to make a snow ball. We were not the only ones who had come out to look. Mothers were helping children make little snow men. Boys of about twelve had rolled a snowball as big as a soccer ball. I hoped it was for a snow man’s head and not a frozen missile.
Although it was freezing cold outside and our shoes and gloves got wet, it was worth venturing outside to be able to see snow – in Sunny South Africa. Mind you, it was sunny. The blue sky made a stark contrast to the white ground and leafless winter trees.

No comments: