Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Spare wheels and twelth man

Today my husband went to buy a spare wheel for our new caravan. It's not really new, but it's the one we bought to replace the one the insurance wrote off. (A strong wind blew the front window in, causing the top to pop and messing up the securing works.) I thought about spending hundreds of Rand on something we might never use. It reminds me of the time my sporty son was playing cricket and he had to go to a match as twelth man. He didn't want to go. He would be bored just sitting watching other eleven year olds play. I had to explain to him that a twelth man was a very important part of the team. All he had to do was pitch up. A team was not complete without a twelth man. That same day I was on healing duty at church in the evening. Iknew very well that there would probably be no one to pray for because it wasn't a "youth thing". I didn't feel like going. I had been to church in the morning and I would be bored. I thought about what I had told my son. "Sometimes we just have to pitch up, whether we are used or not."
Sometimes God just wants us at a certain spot at a certain time. Sometimes our job is just to be the twelth man, the back up. Sometimes we are the spare wheel. We might think it's not important, but it is. Our whole caravan won't be going camping this weekend if my husband doesn't get the spare wheel.

No comments: