Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thank You

DSC00991

It’s awesome how kind people can be.   It just takes a tragedy to make one realise it.   We have been inundated with messages of support, condolences, prayers from wonderful people – some of whom I know only slightly.   The Biology department gave me a bunch of flowers and a beautiful statuette of an angel sitting next to an orb holding a candle.   I will treasure it and always remember Zachary when I see it. possibly light it every year on his birthday.

I got flowers from the Moll family and a beautiful golden potted rose from Lesley, my best friend.   She said pink was too girlish, white was too bland, red was more romantic love so yellow was golden and therefore something precious.   It will come with us to our new house and will also remind me of Zachary.

I got phone calls from the church, the prayer chain, one of the pastors.   Thank you to everybody who has supported us by messages, SMS’s, phone calls, gifts.   You might think they were insignificant and that nothing you can say can really help us but really it is just the accumulated love and support that is getting us through.

  Going to church this morning was a challenge.   I took tissues with me.   Couldn’t sing the first song.   It’s amazing how worship brings tears to the surface.

One of the ladies from the prayer team, Denise Law, who is very close to the Lord, said she had been praying a lot for Zach when she first got the message.   When she heard that he had died she questioned the Lord.   The answer she got was Zach’s little life would make a difference for the Kingdom.   It is David’s future, not his past.   Not quite sure how to interpret that but I know the Lord knows and I trust him even when I don’t understand.

The closing hymn was God’s word for me today.

"Be Still, My Soul"
by Catharina von Schlegel, 1697-?
Translated by Jane Borthwick, 1813-1897

1. Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

2. Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

3. Be still, my soul, though dearest friends depart
And all is darkened in the vale of tears;
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrows and thy fears.
Be still, my soul; thy Jesus can repay
From His own fulness all He takes away.

4. Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Hymn #651
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Psalm 46:10

No comments: