Friday, January 25, 2008

Left arm

I am a left arm. I am reasonably talented. I can bend my fingers, manipulate my thumb, swivel at my shoulder and bend and rotate at my elbow. Despit all this, I have always been a second class citizen because my opposing member, the right arm can do all these things better than me. I was side-lined. It was Righty who was taught to write while my challenging task was merely to support the page. Righty learned to hit a tennis ball with a tennis raquet while I only played ball boy - something like a clay pidgeon dispenser. My tasks were always menial and unappreciated.

Recently Righty developed tendonitis. Here was my chance to shine - to be appreciated! Do you know what? Because I was previously disadvantaged, my best attempts were not good enough and I was cursed for my clumsiness. My unco-ordinated fingers took half an hour just to get a contact lens into the right eye. I don't have enough strength to cut steak with a knife and my artistic attempts at hair-combing were rediculed. I took much longer to complete tasks than the more accomplished and talented Righty. Although I am getting more proficient at lots of things, let's face it, I will never be a right arm. I was destined to be a second class limb. Is life fair? Of course not.

No comments: